COUNTRY: Puerto Rico
1. LOCATION: Port Ponce is located on the S coast, 51km E of Cabo Rojo on the SW corner of Puerto Rico.
2. OVERVIEW: Ponce is Puerto Rico's second largest commercial dry cargo port. The port handles all normal traffic as well as container and Ro-Ro traffic. The harbor is protected from the prevailing easterly trade winds by enclosing reefs. The port is undergoing major construction and dredging work to expand the container capacity in order to become a major Caribbean transhipment hub. Traffic figures: Approx 850,000t of cargo and 245 vessels handled annually.
3. MAXIMUM SIZE: LOA 304 m., draft 15.24 m.
4. TRAFFIC: Port handles containers, general cargo, bulk cargo, liquids, coal, aggregate and timber products.
5. PILOTAGE: Compulsory for all foreign and US registered vessels.
The pilot service is under the supervision and direction of the Commonwealth Captain of the Port.
6. TUGS: Information is not available.
7. BERTHS: Nine berths available. The port has 1,341 m. of quay length, of which 682 m. is operational. Vessels of LOA 304 m. can be berthed. Ro-Ro ramp available.
8. CRANES: 1×100 ton Gottwald E 300 mobile harbor crane, 1×40 ton Paceco Portainer at Berth No. 8, 2×65 ton ZPMC Super post-Panamax cranes.
9. WASTE DISPOSAL: Information not available.
10. SLOPS DISPOSAL: Information not available.
11. WATER: Available 24 hours a day. Notice required.
12. FUEL: Available either by barge or road tanker.
13. CHANDLERY: Information not available.
14. CONTACT: Autoridad del Puerto de Las Americas, PO Box 7051, Ponce, 00732, Puerto Rico. Tel: +1 787 848 4992.