COUNTRY: Dominican Republic
1. LOCATION: On the north coast of the country, close to the border with Haiti.
2. OVERVIEW: Manzanillo was built by an American banana exporting company in the 1940s. Port has approximately eight sailings per month for export of fresh fruit, mainly bananas and import of clinker, petcoke, mineral coal and gypsum. On a smaller scale, cars and packing material (pallets and cases etc. for the banana industry) are imported.
3. MAXIMUM SIZE: LOA 227 m., beam 36.6 m., draft 14.6 m.
4. TRAFFIC: Handles containerized refrigerated cargo and general cargoes.
5. PILOTAGE: Compulsory.
6. TUGS: No tugs available. Tugs can be arranged from Puerto Plata if necessary.
7. BERTHS: Prevailing winds are easterly and sometimes interfere with berthing or unberthing. On the east side, vessels should berth bow in, since there is not enough room to swing vessels safely around for a port berthing.
On the west side, vessels can berth either side to the pier, depending on the direction and force of the wind.
Steel pier with a concrete deck length 226 m., width 22 m. Both sides of the pier are protected with a fender system. Water depth at shore end of pier is 6.0 m. and at the seaward end 12.8 m.
8. CRANES: Sugar is loaded mechanically by conveyor belts directly from the warehouse to the ship using three spouts. Average loading rate is 400–500 t.p.h., depending on vessel size and configuration.
Small motor cranes may be hired for handling general cargo, which must be loaded directly onto railroad flat cars and be removed from ship's side.
9. WASTE DISPOSAL: Information not available
10. SLOPS DISPOSAL: Information not available.
11. WATER: Sometimes available by pipeline in limited quantities and at varying pressures.
12. FUEL: Diesel available by truck (no pump) from Santo Domingo. Contact Agent for further details.
13. CHANDLERY: Information not available.
14. CONTACT: Corporacion Portuaria del Atlantico SA, 1 Carretera El Muelle, Barrio Las Flores (Pepillo Salcedo), Pepillo Salcedo, Montecristi, Dominican Republic. Tel: +1 809 579 9409. email@example.com http://www.puertomanzanillo.com.do