1. LOCATION: 23.05533° / -81.55023°
2. OVERVIEW: Matanzas Bay is open and most ample, being at approximately 5 n.m. long and 2.75 n.m. wide.
It’s waters are deep and only start losing depth at about 150 yds. from shore; for this reason it is most suitable to accommodate large vessels, regardless of length or draft.
Occasionally the prevailing winds affect and interfere with docking and undocking manoeuvres.
Within bay limits, 3 rivers flow: San Juan and Yumuri Rivers, which empty into the south-western extreme of the bay, after crossing the city of Matanzas; and Canimar which drains into the SE of the bay.
3. MAXIMUM SIZE:
Fondeadero Cascajales: The anchorage can handle vessels up to max. LOA 249 m. and max. draft 17.0 m., up to two vessels.
North Anchorage: The anchorage can handle one vessel up to max. LOA 170 m. and max. draft 8.23 m.
South Anchorage: The anchorage can handle one vessel up to max. LOA 170 m. and max. draft 8.23 m.
Del Indio Anchorage: The anchorage can handle one vessel up to max. LOA 87 m. and max. draft 4.9 m.
4. TRAFFIC: Handles bulk and general cargoes.
5. PILOTAGE: Available.
6. TUGS: Information not available.
7. BERTHS: In the port, there are 5 separate berthing installations. All port installations are located on the NW shore of the bay.
8. CRANES: One steam crane with a boom of 60 ft. which can lift about 40 tons. Crane is mounted on railroad tracks and is used only at Jose Luis Dubrocq Pier.
9. WASTE DISPOSAL: Information not available
10. SLOPS DISPOSAL: Information not available.
11. WATER: Available by pipeline.
12. FUEL: Available. Can be delivered by prior request through Agent.
13. CHANDLERY: Information not available.
14. CONTACT: Ministerio del Transporte, Ave Carlos Manuel de Cespedes s/n, entre Tulipan y Lombillo, Ciudad de la Habana CP 10600, Cuba. T: +53 (7) 855 5030. firstname.lastname@example.org www.cubagob.cu